Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sister's big accomplishment!



Sister entered an essay contest at school earlier this spring. She is always a little nervous about contests and competitions and sometimes talks herself out of it before trying it. We try to do our best to encourage her to try things without being too pushy. As the deadline approached for the essay, I reminded her about it a couple of times. She decided that THIRD place prize was what she had her sights on and would give it a try. First place prize was a Nintendo Wii, Second place was a HSM Flat screen tv and Third place was a Nintendo DS....this is the one she really wanted!

So the day before the essay is due, she decided she wants to try and write one. The topic is to choose someone you know who chose not to drink, smoke or do drugs. She chose her Uncle J**. I told her she needed to think of questions to ask him and call him or have him over to interview. She did that and took notes. Then I got her on a website for kids about smoking and drugs. I told her to read the sections about each thing so she could know what it does to your body.

I left to go workout and came back about 45 minutes later and she had FINISHED the essay! I was amazed! It was 309 words and it had to be 300 words. She is just a natural writer and had a great time doing it! She turned it in the next day and we waited to hear any news that might come.

One Monday a couple of weeks ago, she came out of school with a big smile on her face! She had WON THIRD PLACE in the essay contest out of Grades 2-3! That is exactly the prize she wanted! We later found out that it wasn't just a school contest, it was for the entire state! WOW! SHe also won 4 season passes to Magic Springs! We are so proud of her! Needless to say, she was so glad she decided to enter the contest.

1 comments:

MakeLifeDelicious.com said...

How awesome! Please tell her that I said Congratulations!! I will be sure to read her essay when I have more time. I am glad to see you back in blog world!! We've missed you : )
I hope you and the kids have a great summer!!